[concurrency-interest] Soliciting input about removeAllThreadLocals

Joshua Bloch joshua.bloch@sun.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 07:50:55 -0800

Vijay,

> Having the underlying ThreadPool implementation for the servlet runner
> use a removeAllThreadLocals would not break this pattern.

   I would put this another way: this pattern would not benefit from a
"service" removes all thread locals -- it has no need of such a service,
because it takes care of its own thread locals.

   By the way, I don't really understand your beef with the current
thread local facility (which I happen to like much more than its
pthreads-era predecessors).  I understand that Java does not provide any
easy way to, for instance, use ThreadLocals to establish nested dynamic
scopes, but I think this is an orthogonal issue.

             Regards,

             Josh