[concurrency-interest] IPC and java.util.concurrent

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:59:58 -0500

>  I just scanned though the JSR 165 and had the following questions ?
>    I was wondering if the java.util.concurrent.* API can be used to
> communicate between to threads in two separate JVM.

No, what you are looking for is the Isolate API (JSR121), which
unfortunately won't make it into JDK1.5. There are still plans to
include it in some subsequent release though. See
http://bitser.net/isolate-interest/
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=121

> Can the BlockingQueue object passed
>   as a parameter to RMI methods ?

Generally yes, the main implementations are Serializable.

> What about on
>   two JVM on different machines.

There is no explicit support in JSR166 for remote transfer, but it is
possible to use the framework to create custom solutions.  For
example, it would be possble to create a BlockingQueue class that used
RMI to transfer serializable elements to another in another
JVM. However, we don't supply this.

--
Doug Lea, Computer Science Department, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY 13126 USA
dl@cs.oswego.edu 315-312-2688 FAX:315-312-5424 http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/