[concurrency-interest] Re: Concurrency Utilities in Practice

Joseph Bowbeer jozart@blarg.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:02:52 -0800

David Biesack writes:

>Is this based on or similar to FoxTrot, which was presented at J1 2003?

My version of Hans Muller's SwingWorker is described in The Swing Connection

http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/threads/threads3.html

and included in dl.u.c

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/misc/SwingWorker.html

and then used as a punching bag on the FoxTrot site...
http://foxtrot.sourceforge.net/

(Btw, I believe Foxtrot was first presented at J1 2002 in a BOF...)

> Has anyone on concurrency-interest done an analysis of Foxtrot for
correctness?

I have looked at FoxTrot and believe it is sound.  It can be simpler to work
with than SwingWorker, though it may not apply to every situation.  At one
time it was rumored that Swing was going to standardize some of the hooks
that Foxtrot was using, but I don't know the current status.

> I'd like to see a Java 1.5/JSR 166 version of Foxtrot.

AFAIK, it should just work.  What additional support do you suggest?  (Given
that mechanisms like FoxTrot and SwingWorker are constrained to use the UI's
event thread and event queue, there's generally not a lot that j.u.c. can
do.)

While I'm at it, here are a couple more pointers:

Jonathan Simon informed me about his article on java.net, which presents his
technique:

  http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/10/24/swing.html

And I was recently informed of Juipiter:

  http://www.juipiter.org/