[concurrency-interest] JSR-166 Status update

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:46:11 -0400

I haven't done one of these for a while so,...

1. There is one week left in the JCP community review phase for
JSR-166. Assuming this passes, we will almost immediately file for
public review. When we do this, I'll post something summarizaing
changes since the community review version (there are only a few).
These phases don't impact JSR-166 too much simce we've been in
"public" review via this list, the web site etc since the beginning.

2. Something extremely close to the current APIs and sources at
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/index.html is moving
through Sun 1.5.0 engineering process. Although I don't know how this
works at Sun, I believe that if you promise to "seriously" help test
things, you can ask to get into an early-access program and get a copy
(probably within a few weeks). If this applies to you -- i.e., you
would start using and beating hard on j.u.c soon, send me (not the
list) mail, and I'll investigate.

3. We aim to make j.u.c completely error-free. While we've made tests
etc., your help in making more tests, and especially, doing code
reviews, would be very much appreciated.

4. While we are getting further and further into resist-changing-anything
mode, comments and suggestions are always of course welcome.

5. I still hope to make a "transitional" dl.u.c/j.u.c package that
does not rely on JDK1.5 available, although I can't predict when I'll
have time to do it.

--
Doug Lea, Computer Science Department, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY 13126 USA
dl@cs.oswego.edu 315-312-2688 FAX:315-312-5424 http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/