[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:56:50 -0500

I'm starting to wonder why there's so much resistance out there to
changing from 1.x to J2SE5 (1.5). Having seen how obsessed the Sun
J2SE5 release managers and engineers were with back-compatibility, and
the huge numbers of regression tests run, and the very large number of
bug-fixes and performance improvements in J2SE5, I honestly don't know
of a good technical reason not to switch over to it, even (or
especially?) if people don't need new functionality. I suppose some of
it might be just be fear of any x.0 release (to be addressed soon, I
think, with the first "underscore" release, "1.5_01" or somesuch
name). And maybe it takes time to install/deploy new JVMs across all
machines etc. But is there some more fundamental reason that I'm
overlooking?

-Doug