[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Michael Ogg ogg@valaran.com
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:17:03 -0500

I was personally quite happy to jump to 1.5 and found no problems. In
fact, having used dl.u.c for a while, it was nice to see that j.u.c has
several design improvements. But I got a big "whoa there" from my
engineers when I tried to move quickly to 1.5. It all comes down to QA.
Notwithstanding all the regression tests run by Sun, noone was prepared
to move to 1.5 without some QA process. And given that even with zero
code changes, doing full QA will take time that noone has, it wasn't an
option to do a dotted release. So unfortunately, moving to 1.5 has to
fit into the product release schedule.

Having said that, and with all due respect to the backporters, given
that either moving to 1.5 or using j.u.c with the backport under 1.4
will require QA, it seems a no-brainer to me which is preferable.

Michael