[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:06:44 -0500

Thanks for all the replies! While I don't want to touch any of the
non-technical issues (at least not on concurrency-interest list), it
would be good to at least have a listing of what the technical ones
are for those who ask. As far as I can tell, they are:

1. No J2SE 5 JVMs on some platforms
   Does anyone know the details of upcoming support on
    * Eclipse
    * IBM J9 JVM (that comes with Eclipse on most platforms)
    * Apple OSX
    * HP: pa-risc and/or ia64 on HP/UX
    * Other IBM platforms: AIX, z/OS
    * Other Blackdown linux ports
    * BSD

   (We've had a standing invitation to JVM developers to help in any way
    we can with JSR166 support. Only Sun and BEA/JRockit have taken us
    up on it.)

2. Incompatibilies
   * GC settings may need to be changed
   * Different responses to broken JNI code?
   * Requires(?) different monitoring and management tools

Have I left anything out?

(I did leave out "lack of certified support for certain app servers
etc.". Certification is a process issue. A known incompatibity
is a technical issue.)

My aim here is not to start a discussion of any of this, but only to
be able to answer people's questions about whether there are any
obstacles that apply in any particular case, so I can recycle this
mail when I get asked about it. (Every few days lately!)

-Doug