[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Gregg Wonderly gregg.wonderly@pobox.com
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:18:21 -0600

Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein wrote:
> I guess
> Sun didn't want to create a dialect somewhere btw 1.4 and 1.5, because
> it's impossible to compile all of the new language features to bytecode
> compatible with 1.4 VMs (some features, like enums and annotations,
> depend on new core APIs and some changes in the VM and runtime libs,
> like the serialization changes to support enums).

The standing issue is that a specification would have to exist for this
version of Java, or Sun would be breaking the rules in a way similar to
what Microsoft went to court over.  So, the reality is that it can't be
done "easily", and the benefits, while seemingly strong, would only, in
the end, slow adoption.

We do not use J2EE for anything. We use our own container architecture
that we created before J2EE existed.  We have augmented this platform
with Jini for SOA.  So, we depend on a minimum of external vendor code
from a JVM perspective.  Jini does have some JVM version restrictions,
but they are minimum JVM requirements for newer language features in
1.4.  It is not dependent on a JVM augmented with vendor performance
enhancements or other tricks that can create compatibility issues.

And, the best thing is that the community was able to vote to keep 1.4
as the backward compatibility point for the next iteration of Sun's
development so that we can all prepare for 1.5 and become experienced
with it before it becomes dependent on the 1.4 JVM.  And some of the
community members stated the issues of J2EE compatibility brought up here.

Gregg