[concurrency-interest] Queue Predicate

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:33:33 -0500

> I am wondering if it's possible to create a queue that can be
> parameterized with a strategy object to configure its locking behaviour.

The short answer is that most ways of going about this don't work out.
Several academic researchers explored this and related topics in the
1990s, leading to a bunch of papers, mainly on the "inheritance
anomaly".  A brief summary is in my CPJ book. David Holmes's PhD
thesis ("Synchronization Rings Composable Synchronization for
Object-Oriented Systems") has a very good discussion, but I don't see
it available online. You'd want to read these and related papers
before getting too far into this.

-Doug