[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Ron Bense eqmel@comcast.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:37:48 -0600

Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> <soapbox>
> And this is why the J2EE container architecture is not really a
> solution.  It might provide some conveniences and some packaging that
> seems to enable solutions, but in the end it creates such a huge
> amount of dependency on the container that all forward progress
> stops.  Jini on the other hand constantly suggests that you can
> separate things and make them independent of each other and use
> functional interfaces that free you from data binding translations and
> other amazingly obtuse programming practices.
> </soapbox>
>
> There, I said it, now on to the subject of this list...

Before we return to our regularly scheduled concurrency discussion....

I agree with most of your soapbox, but I think you're too narrowly
focused. I'd extend your argument to any non-transparent proprietary
container service. Portal servers, or appserver proprietary layers for
additional functionality, for example, assuming that you have capable
developers on hand to design and construct what's needed.

Shortened to not stray too far off topic.

Ron