[concurrency-interest] Why not J2SE 5?

Gregg Wonderly gregg.wonderly@pobox.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:28:13 -0600

Ron Bense wrote:
> However, when your main product, say an appserver, doesn't migrate until
> much much later, and you use a lot of parts of that appservers
> proprietary services (old system) and it takes you almost a year to
> migrate your current code base to the new version of the appserver...
> you'll be happy just running 1.4.x now, as just happened at my workplace
> - we migrated to 1.4.x just a couple of months ago, and it was rather
> painful.

<soapbox>
And this is why the J2EE container architecture is not really a
solution.  It might provide some conveniences and some packaging that
seems to enable solutions, but in the end it creates such a huge amount
of dependency on the container that all forward progress stops.  Jini on
the other hand constantly suggests that you can separate things and make
them independent of each other and use functional interfaces that free
you from data binding translations and other amazingly obtuse
programming practices.
</soapbox>

There, I said it, now on to the subject of this list...

Gregg