[concurrency-interest] Simple addition for 6.0

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:07:43 -0500

> A nice _little_ thing for 6.0 would be a simple extension to TimeUnit:
> TimeUnit.Minute, TimeUnit.Hour and TimeUnit.Day
>
> Because its just much safer (and easier) then writing
> .scheduleAtFixedRate(...,60*60*24, TimeUnit.Seconds)

Thanks for the suggestion. There is also a Sun RFE posted for this.

I/We had resisted this sort of thing because it seemed to open up a
never-ending stream of requests for further units (week?, fortnight?,
lunar-month?  tropical-year? Swatch-internet-beat-time?). I just
noticed though that SI (the International System of Units:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html) also permits only these
three (minutes, hours, and days) time units outside of milli-, micro-
etc. And I suppose that if this is good enough for SI, it's good
enough for java.util.concurrent :-) So we'll look into it for Mustang.

-Doug