[concurrency-interest] Concurrency Property Checklist

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:15:28 -0500

In the course of categorizing the considerations that arise when
reviewing and documenting concurrency, I put together a draft
checklist at
  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/cpj/prop.html

This presents a set of properties along with questions you might ask
about them, plus related usage notes.  The descriptions of each are
very terse, and probably only useful to people who have read my CPJ
book. It isn't meant to be exhaustive, but is meant to be complete
enough to be a useful guide when reviewing and documenting code.  I'd
appreciate any feedback about missing properties and questions you've
encountered when trying to use concurrent code.

This is NOT intended to be useful as a set of (JSR175) Annotations.
The issues and sub-issues are too varied to be useful as embedded
class or method annotations. However, we (JSR166 expert group) have
also been looking into defining a small set of annotations that
capture some basic concurrency properties, possibly based on those in
Josh Bloch's Effective Java book item 52. More on that if it goes
anywhere.

-Doug