[concurrency-interest] Deque and skip list integration

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:20:46 -0500

> Here's a complaint AND a suggestion.  You didn't update LinkedHashSet
> and LinkedHashMap with any of these useful new methods you've put in to
> the Navigable interfaces.  In fact, you've gone and made the Navigable
> interfaces require sortedness.  As a frequent user of the LinkedHash
> classes, I'd sure like to see the Navigable interfaces depend only on a
> defined order, and if need be add NavigableSortedSet and
> NavigableSortedMap that unifies the Navigable and Sorted interfaces.

Sorry, I don't think Navigable can be made to apply when ordering is
only implicit, not key-based. For example, what should ceilingEntry
return in a LinkedHashMap, especially for a key that isn't present?

What would you like to do with a LinkedHashMap that you now cannot?

-Doug