[concurrency-interest] Case study

Dmitry Kiriy dmitry.kiriy@db.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:43:39 +0300

Will,
        I used concurrent.jar probably  more then 3 years.
        Nothing really changed with including it to SDK, because I
allready there.

________________________________
Dmitriy Kiriy

Derivatives IT Dept.
Global Markets,
Deutsche Bank Moscow

Ph.: +7 095 7830367
Ph. local: 1367

williamh@bulletinwireless.com
Sent by: concurrency-interest-admin@cs.oswego.edu
11.02.2004 13:51

        To:     "Doug Lea" <dl@altair.cs.oswego.edu>
        cc:     concurrency-interest@altair.cs.oswego.edu
        Subject:        Re: [concurrency-interest] Case study

1.5b is out, and JSR166 is probably the most significant part of it.

Autoboxing, the "enhanced" for loop, enums, static import and varargs are
just syntactic sugar. Annotations can add some accuracy to the build
process and generics can increase type safety. None of this really
enhances the language, but this seems to be all that anyone is writing
about.

166 and the improvements to the memory model that accompany it make
multithreaded Java applications far more portable, far easier to write,
and far more robust that those written for any preceeding platfrom.

In my opinion this is the best part of 1.5. Doug and the team deserve some
praise.

-- Will