[concurrency-interest] Changes since initial public review spec

David Holmes dholmes@dltech.com.au
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:18:33 +1000

> In an early release of the concurrency utilities there was a class Locks
> which had a method newConditionFor(Object o).  In the current beta
> release of Tiger I cannot find it anymore and the list of changes does
> not mention it either.
>
> What happened to it?  Has it been replaced by anything?

It is gone. It turned out that the idea of adding multiple Conditions
associated with the monitor lock of an arbitrary object was impractical for
a number of reasons. Doug touched on these reasons here:

http://altair.cs.oswego.edu/pipermail/concurrency-interest/2003-June/000467.
html

Basically such a change to the semantics associated with synchronized and
Object would break every development tool out there that thought it knew
anything about the built-in synchronization features of Java.

David Holmes