[concurrency-interest] Constructors of AtomicXXX and AtomicXXXArray

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:18:45 -0500

The unsurprising main moral of the week is that once people have a
chance to use early access releases, they suddenly have more comments
and suggestions.

As David just mentioned, it is a hard time for us to deal with this
because we are supposed to be all done.  But this one is both a good
idea and a small enough change that we ought to somehow be able to get
it into Tiger:

> The AtomicXXXArray classes do not have a constructor taking an array
> of XXX (Integer/int or equivalent).

Yeah, they ought to. I don't know what I was thinking not to include
one. Not only is it handy, but initialization (as opposed to any other
bulk array operation that might apply here) can be done more
efficiently internally that you could yourself by looping over
elements.

If you look at the current API snapshot, you'll see these new
constructors.  And if you grab the updated jsr166.jar file, you can
start using them with the early-access release
  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/index.html

Thanks!

-Doug