Shyam Shyam.Ramamurthy@oracle.com
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:27:33 -0700

Larry Riedel wrote:

>It looks to me like think AtomicX provide a specific simple case of
>confinement/synchronization under the control of the application
>which happens to map cleanly to instructions which can be performed
>orders of magnitude more quickly by the JVM or CPU than if they were
>implemented them using the Java language level equivalents.  I do not
>think they change the fundamental nature of the entities for which they
>are providing that particular case of confinement/synchronization, or
>that those entities which would benefit from the use of that efficient
>implementation are necessarily inherently different in practice from
>those which would not.

A tangential comment on this : Would it make sense to have XYZ.atomicX
that would return a atomic version of X akin to
Collections.synchronizedMap?

Thanks,
Shyam

Shyam S Ramamurthy                                     Phone : +91 80 5108 2208
Principal Member (Tech Staff)                                  +91 80 550  9360
Systems Engineering & OAP                                      Ext 2208
Platfroms Technology Group
Oracle India Private Limited
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this mail are mine, and may not
be those of Oracle Corporation.