[concurrency-interest] need to use collection.sort w. CopyOnWriteArrayList but cant.....

Joshua Bloch joshua.bloch@sun.com
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:25:04 -0700

Osvaldo,

> I suppose we could have methods like sort() added to the List interface.

It violates compatibility to add a method to a widely implemented
interface such as List, so this is not a possiblity.

>  I never understood
> why the Collections framework choose this anti-OO design of having most
> algorithms as statics of utility classes like Arrays and Collections.

To keep the core interfaces small, general, and learnable.  For the most
part, we are very happy with the design.

       Regards,

       Josh