[concurrency-interest] Skip Lists, Concurrent Skip Lists and Concurrent Sorted Maps

Brian Goetz brian@quiotix.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:46:41 -0700

> So you want a concurrent version of LinkedHashMap with access-order
> linking?

Basically, yes.

> So this is doable, but you probably don't want a skip list; just a
> ConcurrentLinkedHashMap
> that internally uses a concurrent linked list implementation. As I
> mentioned, this will have
> some scaling limits, but may suffice for your purposes.

Unfortunately, I can't synthesise that out of a ConcurrentHashMap and a
concurrent linked list, as there's no way to update both atomically.  So
I'd have to start with the CHM code and add the linked-list part, which
is no small task.