[concurrency-interest] Re: PooledLinkedBlockingQueue

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm@hp.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:21:56 -0800

I'm not sure I fully understand this discussion.  In general,
finalization (or any flavor of weak reference) tends to be
significantly more expensive for the garbage collector to
manage than just memory reclammation.  (The GC really
runs the finalize method only if an object has a nonempty one,
which is known at allocation time.) The idea of maintaining
a separate free memory pool based on the finalizer mechanism
doesn't strike me as having much of a chance of profitability,
unless the objects in the pool are extremely expensive to reconstruct.

Aside from that, I agree that not being able to reenable finalization
on an object is an odd restriction.  But I'm not sure it has much
to do with this group.

Hans