[concurrency-interest] cvs & licencing issues ?

Ronald Veldema Ronald.Veldema@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:39:22 +0100

Hi List,
    I'm trying to create a Java compiler and runtime system suitable
for parallel/cluster/grid programming by providing a single-system-image
using a distributed-shared-memory (DSM) system.
As such, I've thusfar been using the GNU classpath libraries
    ( http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/classpath.html  )
which provides things like java.lang.*, java.io.*, java.rmi.*,
java.awt.*, etc
like SUN has but only under GPL.
Because my stuff is all about parallel programming, it would
be nice to include java.util.concurrent.* except that classpath doesn't
yet include it.

Now the question: can I checkout the sources from CVS (
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/main/java/util/concurrent/
)
and include these with my compiler ?
My compiler & classpath are all (L)GPL-ed. A quick peek at a random
file delivers:

 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain

Am I correct that it allows me to do so ?
If so, it might be a good idea to inform the classpath/gcc/gcj people so that
we'll all have a gcc with a working java.util.concurrent too !
Regards,

Ronald.

--

web: