[concurrency-interest] J2SE now available under revised Java Research License

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:12:04 -0500

In case you didn't see the announcements, Sun finally released full
JDK, hotspot and TCK sources under a new more liberal version of the
Java Research License. See http://www.java.net/jrl.csp

While this doesn't directly affect JSR166, it does allow researchers to
further experiment with concurrency and other infrastructure support
that might lead to or assist in future JSRs etc. We were only able to
carry out JSR166 by getting a special license that was almost
identical to the new JRL, so I could add VM support (for atomics etc),
modify existing Java libraries, and add new ones.

-Doug