[concurrency-interest] PooledLinkedBlockingQueue

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:15:41 -0500

> But, what could be the best structure and strategy to use for the pool?
>   I am worried that the pool become a bottleneck with synchronization.
> So, is-it possible to don't do any locking when using the pool?  Is the
> wait-free ConcurrentLinkedQueue a good choice?  Advices?

This is the reason that performance of GC'ed concurrent data
structures tends to be better than those using recycling. While there
are lock-free solutions to the node-recycling problem, they are very
complicated and tend to add more overhead than does GC. For some
recent research papers on the subject see work by Maged Michael
(http://www.research.ibm.com/people/m/michael/pubs.htm) and by Mark
Moir and colleagues (http://research.sun.com/scalable/moir.html).

-Doug