[concurrency-interest] Distributed lock managers

Doug Lea dl@cs.oswego.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:45:56 -0500

>  I am writing to enquire whether there is any public code available
>  that implements a distributed lock manager. I am wanting to learn
>  about clustering in j2ee application servers and find that there is
>  not enough information regarding this subject area. Also any public
>  code that supports the concept of completion callback over several
>  nodes on a cluster would also be appreciated. Each of these several
>  nodes may not all start at the same time.

I don't know details of any of the open source ones, but if you google
"distributed lock manager", you'll find some; for example, Apache's
ODMG (http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/lockmanager.html). The
classic textbook source on lock managers is Gray & Reuter "Transaction
Processing" book, but it is a little dated and more focussed on
concepts than implementation.

> Prof. Lea-if you are reading this can I say that those of us who wish
> to get to a better understanding of "under the hood" workings of
> locking, scheduling over a cluster there is not a good book in java
> available yet. If you can be persuaded to write one that would be much
> appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Someday there should be a book on Java
cluster computing, but I don't think it will be soon. Among other
things, JSR121 "isolates", which I hope will make it into next major
J2SE release, will change the way a lot of things should be done.

-Doug