[concurrency-interest] Request (bug fix?) for ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor

Norman Elton normelton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 12:32:33 EDT 2005

If I create a ThreadPoolExecutor that overrides the beforeExecute and
afterExecute methods, I see my Runnable go into the pool, and come
out. This is very handy.

If I change to a ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor, the objects passed to
these methods are of type ScheduledFutureTask, not my original
objects. Looking at the code, it appears that
ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor wraps my Runnable inside this new object.

So the question is... Is this necessary? For immediate executions
(non-scheduled), could the internals of ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor
keep my Runnables intact, or provide some way to get them back after
execution?

Thanks for any advice,

Norman Elton

Norman Elton