[concurrency-interest] Waiting for object value to be available.

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Aug 23 14:40:44 EDT 2005

Shaffer, Darron wrote:
> The old WaitableReference class would do this nicely.  Unfortunately, it
> didn't make it into Java 5.
>
> By the way, why didn't this group of classes end up in Java 5?

This was a "doesn't-carry-its-weight" judgement. It would have entailed
putting out specs, inmplementations, and TCK tests for up to eighteen
little classes that are rarely used (especially considering overlap
with the AtomicX classes, which were sorely needed) and not too
hard for people to make themselves when they need them.

Someday I ought to make good on intent to separately release new
J2SE5-compatible versions of the little things in dl.util.concurrent
that didn't make it into java.util.concurrent. But too many other things
always seem to have higher priority. (Maybe someone on this list
would like to take this on?)

-Doug