[concurrency-interest] CSP, the pi-calculus and CPA-2005

P.H.Welch P.H.Welch at kent.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 13:59:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

This is the busiest mailing list to which I'm subscribed - by quite a bit!
Which is good, :).  I'm afraid I'm only a quiet observer right now, but
it's very interesting and useful.  One day I hope to chip in.

This is a small chip in.  For a concurrency interest list, it is surprising
to see no discussion based on analysing what you are doing and what you are
wanting to do using the viewpoint and mathematics of process algebra - in
particular, Hoare's CSP and Milner's pi-calculus.  These have lots to offer
about practical issues (and, certainly, Java ones) and are starting to get
together - a powerful combination.

For the interested, here are three URLs on recent and about-to-happen
conferences:

  http://www.cs.auc.dk/~luca/BICI/PA-05/         (1-5 August, 2005)
  http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/menass/csp25/            (6-8 July, 2004)
  http://wotug.org/cpa2005/programme.shtml       (18-21 September, 2005)

The first two celebrated the first 25 years of process algebra - and are
well worth tracking down the proceedings.  The third is about to happen
in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.  CPA is only a small conference with
a single stream of presentations, including evening Fringe sessions in
the hotel (basement) bar.  If any are this (European) side of the Atlantic
next month, you may enjoy!

I guess this is a (last minute) call for delegates, but I hope it's more
than that.  The reason we take these algebras so seriously is that we do
want to build complex systems that work ... much more easily than we manage
to achieve at the moment.  The ideas spinning from the maths gives us
formal (i.e steady/precise) platforms from which very efficient technology
grows (much of which is Java relevant).  These include highly dynamic
systems, including mobility and location awareness, hardware design and
hardware-software co-design, new languages, old languages, embedded,
distributed and super computing and more.

Many thanks for your time,

Peter Welch.