[concurrency-interest] a question regarding blocking threads

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Tue Jul 5 12:14:24 EDT 2005

Yechiel Feffer wrote:
> Is there any mechanism  that JVMs use  in order  to minimize (as much as
> possible) swaping  threads that are locking ? If such threads are
> swapped, it will cause  starvation of other threads waiting for the
> locked monitors. Or is a  kernel level problem ?

If you are talking about swapping to disk as a part of virtual memory implementation, that is an underlying operating
system policy issue.  Microsoft windows, will apparently flush pages (to disk, or release them from memory) when a
window is covered, or otherwise sent to the back.  Applications with large RSS will thus come to the front fairly slowly
in that environment.  At one point, I heard that there were special cases created for the microsoft office suite so that
it wouldn't be as slow to come to the front as other applications.  Hence, a perceived performance advantage...

Gregg Wonderly