[concurrency-interest] Sun Licensing terms for backport-util-concurrent

Alan Wiersba alan.wiersba at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 17:43:11 EDT 2005

Hi David.  I'm a Release Manager at Oracle Corporation, and we're trying
to use the Java 1.4 backport of JSR 166 (java.util.concurrent) in our
new software which we're planning to ship shortly.

I have a question as to what the actual text is of the Sun License which
some of the files in that backport use.

In http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/dcl/util/backport-util-concurrent/ it says:

"A few source files in this library originate from SUN JDK and bear SUN
source code license, as stated in file headers."

However, I don't see an actual Sun License agreement in any of the 6
files which appear to be Sun files.

In the readme.html of the source code, I see:

License
This software is released to the public domain, in the spirit of the
original code written by Doug Lea. The code can be used for any purpose,
modified, and redistributed without acknowledgment. No warranty is
provided, either express or implied. A few source files in this library
originate from SUN JDK and bear SUN source code license, as stated in
file headers.

- In 64 source code files, I see:

/*
  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
  * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
  */

- In 6 source code files (AbstractMap.java, Collections.java,
LinkedList.java, PriorityQueue.java, TreeMap.java, TreeSet.java), I see:
 * Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
 * SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL. Use is subject to license terms.
 */

But there's no mention of what the license is.

- On one file, CopyOnWriteArrayList.java, I see:
-------------------------------------
/*

 * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
 * Expert Group.  Adapted and released, under explicit permission,
 * from JDK ArrayList.java which carries the following copyright:
 *
 * Copyright 1997 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
 * 901 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, California, 94303, U.S.A.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is the confidential and proprietary information
 * of Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Confidential Information").  You
 * shall not disclose such Confidential Information and shall use
 * it only in accordance with the terms of the license agreement
 * you entered into with Sun.
 */

Could you point me to what the actual text is of the Sun license
agreement is which applies to the 6 (or so) Sun files?

Thanks for your help.
Alan Wiersba, Release Manager
500 Oracle Parkway, Room 450, Ph: +1.650.506.3138, Fax: +1.650.506.7103

<http://otn.oracle.com/products/ifs>