[concurrency-interest] How seriously should we take broken double checked idiom

Bill Pugh pugh at cs.umd.edu
Tue May 3 11:42:45 EDT 2005

Please tell me what project you work on so I can avoid it, or what
company you work for so I can short your stock.

Like others, I am appalled at your tech lead's attitude towards
software reliability.

There is essentially no cost to performing thread-safe lazy
initialization in a correct way, and several
possible correct ways to accomplish it.

If it really is that case that your objects have no instance fields
at all, they you can get away with the non-thread-safe form
of double checked locking. But that is very much a corner case, and
would break if you ever added fields to those objects.
Also, if the objects truely have no state, I can't see that you are
saving much of anything by initializing them in a lazy fashion.

     Bill Pugh