[concurrency-interest] How seriously should we takebrokendoublechecked idiom

Jeremy Manson jmanson at cs.purdue.edu
Tue May 3 17:18:51 EDT 2005

serge masse wrote:
> Thanks Dawid,
> I was not aware of this thesis. Will read it, or try
> to. I downloaded it.
>
> serge

Well, I suppose that at this point, I might as well chime in with a
reading list.  I'm pretty sure that although these things have been
announced on this list, there has never been a roundup.

Depending on your level of interest in the memory model (and depending
on your level of expertise), you may be better off starting with one of
Brian's articles:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp02244.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp03304/

Or the FAQ that he and I wrote:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/pugh/java/memoryModel/jsr-133-faq.html

For a more technical / academic version of this stuff, the paper that
Bill, Sarita Adve and I wrote for this year's POPL might be a good bet.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~jmanson/java/popl05.pdf

JSR-133 itself is also a good place to go:

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=133

Mind you, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from reading my
dissertation.  I think (with no modesty whatsoever) I did a pretty good
job of laying out the issues.  It is the only place to go (currently)
for a full explanation of all our decisions.  But it may be more than a
lot of people want to plow through.

					Jeremy