[concurrency-interest] Pooled executor and data visibility

Lee, Phil Philip.Lee at logicacmg.com
Mon May 9 10:31:42 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am using a PooledExecutor to handle events arriving for a large number
of session objects. If all Runnables passed to the PooledExecutor invoke
Session::work() then can I get away with just making Session::work()
synchronized to ensure that all data modifications are visibile to any
other thread than handles a subsequent event for a that session. Put
another way, do the cache flush/invalidate effects of synchronized
extend to all data fields of all objects touched by calls made within
the synchronized block or are they limited to the object upon which
synchronized is operating. (I'm guessing it's the latter and hoping it's
the former but I haven't seen it spelt out anywhere :).

TIA,

	Phil.