[concurrency-interest] Pooled executor and data visibility

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue May 10 19:32:28 EDT 2005

> Thanks, that's very helpful. We're currently targeting JRE 1.4.2_06 and
> I understand some of the JSR133 recommendation were incorporated into
> pre-Java 5.0 releases but I have found it very difficult to find any
> specific information. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

So long as you are relying only on visibility and ordering
properties surrounding locks, you are surely OK.
There were a few small but important adjustments in J2SE5 surrounding
final fields and volatiles, but memory properties of locks
remained the same because hotspot locks conform
equally well to old and new memory model.

I'm sure that you will not be able to find anyone or anything to
officially tell you this though.

-Doug