[concurrency-interest] which util-concurrent to use for JDK1.3.1

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed May 11 10:58:52 EDT 2005

etienne.laverdiere at vmd.desjardins.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what is latest version of the Concurrent package for (IBM)JDK 1.3.1?
>
> The backport-util-concurrent-1.1_01 found at
> http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/dcl/util/ doesn't seems top be compatible,
> I get this error:
>
> 10:25 AMjava.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> edu/emory/mathcs/backport/java/util/concurrent/Executors (Unsupported
> major.minor version 48.0)
>
> Should I use the older version "util.concurrent Release 1.3.4." found
> at
> http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html

backport-util-concurrent is written to support 1.4, but it is quite easy
to compile it on 1.3 if you need to. Download the source distribution
and try to compile; you will get a few errors that will necessitate
minor changes in about 6 classes. Namely, you need to remove "assert"
statements, modify some exception classes to ignore the "cause"
parameter, and in one place, change Boolean.valueOf(b) to "b ?
Boolean.TRUE : boolean.FALSE".

Maybe one day I will provide explicit support for 1.2+, but so far, the
interest was low...

Of course you can also use dl.util.concurrent 1.3.4, but it predates JSR
166 and the APIs are a bit different.

Regards,
Dawid Kurzyniec