[concurrency-interest] backport: Is there a forward port ofbackport.util.concurrent to Java 5.0

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed May 11 12:34:34 EDT 2005

Hanson Char wrote:

>Sounds like it should belong to a separate project, analogous to the
>Apache commons logging which acts like a facade to the actual
>underlying implementation.  So kind of a "commons concurrent" package
>which provides an API that allows either the backport or jdk1.5 to be
>used, depending on the actual JVM being run.

That sounds right. My suggestion would be that you create your own
facade API, with the stuff that you use, in versions for 1) backport and
2) j.u.c., differing by import statements. An alternative is to try to
recompile backport with changed package names, e.g. removing
"edu.emory.mathcs.backport", and add the JAR to the _boot_ class path on
1.4 JVMs (although I am not even sure if this will work, e.g. JVM may
complain about forbidden definition of java.* packages). If this works,
you could use j.u.c. APIs in 1.4, with the exception for things like
nanoTime(), as Doug mentioned.

The "forward-port" of the backport is another interesting alternative,
but I am not sure how happy people would be to code against backport
packages (funny package names, no generics etc) when targetting mainly
5.0. Also, this potentially could add overheads (as could, as the matter
of fact, the facade API) - e.g. if delegation is used, calls would go
through wrapper classes, and also the number of instance counts would
double, which could be non-negligible for lock classes and atomic
variables. Possible solution would be to use inheritance, rather than
delegation. I might consider something like this at some point, but the
priority for me is to complete the backport (e.g. add skip-list maps).

BTW. I am happy to see such a wide interest - people are asking for the
backport to be available on all Java versions between 1.3 and 5.0 :) I
will try to do my best to accomodate the requests, with priorities
depending on the relative level of interest.

Regards,
Dawid Kurzyniec