[concurrency-interest] PooledExecutor vs java.util.concurrent

Jonathan Baxter jbaxter at panscient.com
Wed May 18 02:51:17 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 11:40, Brian Goetz wrote:
> We had this discussion a few weeks ago on the -jsr list, where I also
> asked why there was no way to effectively execute() block, which would
> provide both throttling (the same way that caller-runs does) and
> preserve in-order execution (which caller-runs does not.)  Doug
> responded that in practice, this policy was not as sound as it, well,
> sounds.

Is that list public? Can you cross post Doug's reasoning here? If the problem
is primarily one of guaranteeing in-order execution, I'd happy to give that
away in return for some kind of approximate guarantee modulo starvation. IMO,
Blocked execution for flow control is way too useful a baby to throw out with
the bathwater.