[concurrency-interest] PooledExecutor vs java.util.concurrent

Brian Goetz brian at quiotix.com
Wed May 18 03:27:17 EDT 2005

> Is that list public? Can you cross post Doug's reasoning here? If the problem
> is primarily one of guaranteeing in-order execution, I'd happy to give that
> away in return for some kind of approximate guarantee modulo starvation. IMO,
> Blocked execution for flow control is way too useful a baby to throw out with
> the bathwater.

If you don't care about in-order execution, then you can simply use the
"caller runs" rejected execution handler.  The result is that the new
task will be execute in the thread of the submitter, which has the
effect of throttling that thread's ability to generate more load, giving
the pool some time to catch up.