[concurrency-interest] Java Memory Model versus dotnet MemoryModel

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Sun Nov 6 11:53:09 EST 2005

serge masse wrote:
> Let's just consider servlets (and jsps) for example.
>
> There are millions of them currently running.
>
> A large portion of them are currently running on uniprocessors and probably most of these are
> slated to be ported to multicore systems over the next few years.
>
> What is the expected percentage of these that will show new defects when ported to multicore?
>
> I am worried by this but maybe I shouldn't be.

I'm more worried about the ones that have defects but don't show them. These are the buffer
overruns of the Java world.

You can try to provide tools to increase confidence in the correctness of a program, but
programmers have to know enough to use these tools (and often have to get approval to use them).
So education is needed, and that's a long process.

--tim