[concurrency-interest] Java Memory Model versus dotnet MemoryModel

serge masse sergemasse1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 12:42:10 EST 2005

Thanks Tim.

--- Tim Peierls <tim at peierls.net> wrote:

> I'm more worried about the ones that have defects
> but don't show them. These are the buffer
> overruns of the Java world.

Indeed, I was implying that my understanding of
David's comment was when a multithreaded app is ported
from uniprocessor to a multicore, the new defects that
will manifest themselves should be virtuall all from
pre-existing defects in the original versions that had
not shown up on uniprocessor.

> You can try to provide tools to increase confidence
> in the correctness of a program, but
> programmers have to know enough to use these tools
> (and often have to get approval to use them).
> So education is needed, and that's a long process.
>
> --tim

I agree and like most Java consultants, a significant
percentage of my income is derived from such
educational work and this is also why I need to get
this issue straight, so that I can continue to do a
decent job advising my clients, as well as to continue
writing better code myself. A *train the
trainer-programmer* situation.

Do you have any specific tools to suggest for this
potential problem of porting concurrent apps from
uniprocessors to multicore?

thanks again,
serge