[concurrency-interest] Java 1.3 and JSR166

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:52:48 EDT 2005

Tim McAuley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Reading through the archives, I see mention that some people were
>interested in getting a Java 1.3 compatible backport of JSR166. I'm just
>seeing if anyone ever produced one?

There is a backport to 1.4:

http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/

Sources are available, and it is relatively easy to compile them under
1.3. Try compiling (you need Apache Ant) - you'll get a bunch of error
messages, but they stem from only a few places. You need to remove
"assert" statements, remove exception chaining, and in one place,
replace Boolean.valueOf() with b ? Boolean.TRUE : Boolean.FALSE.

You can also remove all the test sources (the test/ subdirectory) if
they make trouble.

Ant produces the JAR file that you can then use in your applications.

Regards,
Dawid Kurzyniec