[concurrency-interest] Removing jobs from ThreadPoolExecutor

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Sep 2 13:12:23 EDT 2005

Norman Elton wrote:

> I'm using a ThreadPoolExecutor to handle incoming jobs. Jobs are
> either "low priority" or "high priority". I have a separate thread
> that monitors the queue to ensure that it does not get out of control.
>
> I'd like for the monitoring thread to remove all low priority jobs if
> the queue gets above a certain size. Currently, I plan to loop
> through the queue, retrieved from ThreadPoolExecutor.getQueue(), and
> call ThreadPoolExecutor.remove() on all low priority jobs.
>
> Is this the best way to accomplish this? Will there be any
> concurrency issues here? It appears that if I remove a job that has
> already been executed, the method will simply return false.

Agreeing with Brian that using custom queue implementation is probably
the best solution, I am thinking, if you only have two priorities, maybe
you can get away with implementation of your queue that internally holds
two queues for high and low priority tasks? You then need to implement
the await/signal logic; internal queues may in fact be non-blocking. The
advantage of this is that you can quickly remove items from low-priority
queue on put, without iterating.

I don't quite see the solution based on PriorityQueue without using
iterators: Assuming that high-priority tasks should be run before
low-priority tasks, they must go at the top of the heap, and stuff can
only be removed from priority queue in log time and in proper order from
the top of the heap, not from the bottom.

If you need more than two priority levels, yet another possibility is to
use sorted list for the queue implementation, which makes it possible to
remove stuff from the end. I guess the only way to implement sorted list
in Java is to use SortedMap, with keys being (priority, uniqueID) pairs,
sorted in that order. (By priority first, FIFO next).

Regards,
Dawid