[concurrency-interest] JSR166+backport: Licensing Issues

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Wed Sep 14 16:47:12 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Some of you may be aware of the GNU Classpath project
(http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath), which aims to produce a Free
cleanroom implementation of the core class libraries.  Given the recent
addition of the concurrency classes to the 1.5 API, this is obviously
something we need to include at some point to produce a complete
implementation.

The availability of these classes within the public domain is thus
beneficial to us, as it should hopefully allow their inclusion without
the need to produce our own versions of this code.  Instead, we should
hopefully be able to include the public domain code in later releases.

In reviewing previous posts, there seems to have been some confusion
over the licensing of these files, and, as a result, we were hopeful
that you may be able to clarify the license of the files within both the
JSR166 package and the backport to 1.4.  As is currently understood, it
appears that most files are public domain save the following:

* java.util.concurrent.CopyOnWriteArrayList, which is under a Sun
license.
* Various java.util classes (e.g. AbstractMap, Collections, TreeMap),
which, at a guess, are taken from earlier Sun releases, and which we
already have implementations of.

We would be grateful if you could clarify this with us, so as to avoid
any later confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and again for making these
classes available to us,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }