[concurrency-interest] JSR166+backport: Licensing Issues

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Tue Sep 20 13:49:33 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 18:49 -0400, Doug Lea wrote:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> >

> > We would be grateful if you could clarify this with us, so as to avoid
> > any later confusion.
> >

> There's a simple, universally valid rule you can use for JSR166 files
> as they appear in CVS:
> For any file of interest, do "head -5 <filename>".
> It will either clearly say that it is released to the public domain or
> it won't. Nearly all are.
>
> But especially during release integration, our CVS contains not only
> files originated by us, but also other files that are modified by us.
> We do this to make sure that everything goes into a release exactly
> right, which is more important to us than maintaining license purity.
>
> This rule is better than an enumeration, since the actual files
> might change over time.
>
> (BTW, our diffs to files not originated by us are also
> released to the public domain, but they might not be
> very useful.)
>
> -Doug

Thanks for your help.  With regard to including the code in GNU
Classpath, we'd like to use java.util.concurrent code provided by you as
an upstream provider.  Ideally, this would thus be based on some kind of
stable release point, rather than a random CVS snapshot.  Is such a
thing available, specifically a version which forms the basis of the 1.5
release (i.e. without the unstable 1.6 additions which are now appearing
in the repository).  Is such a thing available, or would it be possible
to make this available for use as an upstream provider for Classpath?

Also, I note that the code, as-is, use some internal Sun classes
(notably in the atomic classes).  Is there some documentation available
which specifies what these external methods are expected to provide?

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }