[concurrency-interest] concurrency errors in java.lang.Throwable

Brian Goetz brian at quiotix.com
Wed Aug 2 15:18:17 EDT 2006

> In either case, I think there is considerable information to be gained from
> making sure that the cause is available.  I think that there is some merit to
> Dougs thoughts that there will eventually be a synchronized piece of code that
> runs and forces the visibility.

JCiP coins the term "effectively immutable" for describing objects like
this -- they don't meet the definition of immutability, but they are
treated as if they were immutable forward from some point in time, and
this point is prior to publication.  For effectively immutable objects,
it is safe to use them without synchronization as long as they are
published (once) with synchronization.