[concurrency-interest] High performance Future aggregation - polling vs latching

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Mon Aug 7 23:33:15 EDT 2006

Outside - Karl's ACM wrote:
> The only way to poll a Future for its result indicates a timeout by
> throwing an exception. Specifically:  Future.get(long timeout, TimeUnit
> unit)... So every time I wait for a future without a result I experience
> a performance hit from generating the exception.

How busy will the JVM actually be, how long are these 'waits' and how many will
be running at the same time?  I'm not so sure that the exception generation
overhead (microseconds of CPU perhaps) is going to unduely impact your JVM
performance.

Also, have you looked at JavaSpaces?  It is really good at distributing work
loads and allowing you to scale up such applications by just adding more
computers as you need.

Gregg Wonderly