[concurrency-interest] Question on GUI Applications

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Tue Aug 15 12:26:38 EDT 2006

Those examples are mainly to illustrate various techniques; they aren't
meant to be used directly (they are all private methods). For production
systems, you probably want to use the SwingWorker utility. It's standard
with Java 6, but if you can't wait that long, the BackgroundTask class from
JCiP chapter 9 is a reasonable stop-gap measure -- it has a cancel method
and a get with timeout method. It hasn't been tested seriously, however, so
proceed with caution and please let us know of any problems you find with
it.

--tim