[concurrency-interest] FooTreeCache

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Aug 27 10:06:09 EDT 2006

Hanson Char wrote:
> Just curious.  Why is it that all the classes in jsr166x exist in Java
> 6 beta, except the ConcurrentLinkedDeque ?

This was a judgement call about its utility. While the current
implementation is OK for some applications, it is not the best
approach for one of the most common parallel applications of
Deques, as work-stealing queues. See for example the FJ
Fork/join framework in dl.util.concurrent, which we plan to
finally revive in much improved form for JDK7 and supply some
nice lightweight and fast loop-parallelization utilities.
So all in all, it seemed better to not commit to having this
class in JDK6.

That's why we put all those disclaimers on the the jsr166x
package. (And will do likewise probably within a few months
for a "jsr166y" package (for lack of a better name, unless
someone suggests something better) with candidate classes
for JDK7.

If I were you, I might not include ConcurrentLinkedQueue in
a JDK6-workalike package for JDK5.

Thanks again for taking this on!

-Doug