[concurrency-interest] difference latch and lock

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 30 16:55:04 EDT 2006

Peter,

Depends exactly what you mean by "latch". A latch or gate is a
synchronization barrier that is either open or closed. If open anyone can
pass, if closed no one can pass. A Lock is intended to let through one
thread at a time.

I don't know what they meant by a latch being more lightweight than a lock
???

David Holmes