[concurrency-interest] Exposing self-references in constructors

Ryan LeCompte Ryan.LeCompte at pango.com
Wed Dec 20 20:05:01 EST 2006

David,

In this case thread B has already been created and executed (start()). So basically what happens is inside of the class's constructor (Executed by thread A), a reference to the instance (this) is passed to a new object that is constructed. This intermediate object (which contains a reference to the class instantiated by thead a) will later be "processed" by thread b (which has already been start()'ed). Sorry if I'm not doing a great job of explaining the situation. Here are the steps again:

1) Thread A (main thread) has been started.
2) Thread A (main thread) instantiates class Foo.
3) In Foo's constructor, it creates a new object (Bar) which contains a reference to Foo (Foo passes "this" to Bar in Foo's constructor).
    Also, not sure if it matters, but I have a single volatile variable that is assigned a value before Bar is instantiated.
4) At a later point (30 seconds, for example), Thread B (which has already been started before Foo is instantiated) operates on the Bar instance and uses the reference to Foo that it contains.
    To be specific in this step, it first synchronize()'s on the "Foo" instance that Bar has a reference to.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

Ryan

--
Ryan LeCompte +1.508.626.8900 x227